• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair Salary Employment Practice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Engrave

I'm in the state of California. I've been working for this company almost 3 yrs. Each year i've received a .25 an hr raise. Last year a new employee was hired to do the same job as I. She had no expereince and her starting pay was more than what I make after 3yrs. Today I noticed an ad in the paper, this company is hiring more help. They are hiring all the new help at an hrly wage of .50 an hr more than mine (same job). I brought this issue up to my boss. She informed me that the company only gives 1 raise a year and for never more than .25 an hr. She didn't even want to hear I was being under paid. Anybody have any advice or help for me? I don't really want to quit my job. However I don't want to be treated unfairly either.

R

rivulus

Welcome to the real world! No matter how unfair it seems,there is nothing that you can do about it. I worked for a retail establishment for over 7 years. Started at minimum wage and was given 2 $.25 raises over the 1st 2 years. That put me at $4.75/hr. which at the time was more than minimum. There were no more raises for the next 4+ years - both for myself as well as the other employees (one had not seen a raise for over 5 years!). The minimum wage went up to $4.75 during that time. All of a sudden,the manager hired a high school girl to do a menial job (clean bird cages) at $4.75. Less than month later,she received a raise in pay (the girl blabbed it to several employees) that put her above most of the long time employees. Checking in with the Labor Dept. revealed that it was not illegal,unless it was a man getting higher pay than a woman for the same work. In this case,it wasn't. She cleaned bird cages. The rest were the sales staff. It would seem that the sales staff would be paid more,but...

[Edited by rivulus on 04-08-2001 at 04:11 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">