• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

S S Moore

What is the name of your state? wisconsin
i was recently terminated from my job of just short of 6 months. six months was the probation time. up until the termination date i was told on any number of occasions that i was doing a great job and in fact was a top insurance producer for the agency last month. the day before the firing, i went to the hr manager and explained that two people in the office were acting rather hostile towards me and i did not understand why. i was told that one of the employees had just received a stiff warning regarding her behavior towards yet another employee and she was probably going through all the emotions including being ticked off. i was also told that since this employee would be out of the office for a week due to nose surgery, this would give her time to think all of this over and she would probably be better. i agreed to that and we parted on a friendly note. the next day i was terminated. again, i had never heard one negative note about my performance and in fact heard just the opposite. doesn't my former employer have to show that they said there was a problem and then show i did not correct it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"doesn't my former employer have to show that they said there was a problem and then show i did not correct it?"

No, nothing in the law requires that. They can fire you on the spot if they want to, and they don't even have to give you a reason. Wisconsin is an at-will state (as is every state except Montana); you can quit at any time for any reason you want, and they can fire you at any time for any reason except one specifically forbidden by law.

BTW, nothing in your post indicates that your performance had anything to do with it. Occasionally people do get terminated for reasons other than performance.

Beth3

"doesn't my former employer have to show that they said there was a problem and then show i did not correct it?" No.

While I agree entirely that good management practice dictates that they should have been honest with you regarding any problems and allowed you time to address it, no law compels them to.

P

Pfaffing85690

Nah, that was my evin twin....

But a little Hasty Pudding wouldn't hurt :D

P

Pfaffing85690

You honestly think I wouldn't be standing by with an entire 'bucket brigade'???

Beth3

Interesting... but as much as I'd like to continue this discussion, I have to head out to a meeting with one of our corporate attornies. And I'm sure you know how much fun THAT will be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">