• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfairly Laid off?? Where is the loyalty??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

replicant4319

Hello, I was laid off 2 weeks ago. I was with the company for 8 years and worked my butt off the entire time. I am one of the few individuals who helped the company grow into something very large. About 2 years ago, we baught another company and the two merged. Many people from the that company came into our company, including my manager. Of course my manager wanted to hire people he knew from his previous position and tried hard to get some of them on full time, one actually came to work in our department and a few became contracted "temps". I still wokred very hard, sacrificed many things in my life for the better of the company. Now, the point...I was laid off due to "budget cut-backs" however, my department is still contracting 2 people, paying them more and this is work that I, a full time employee could do. I have people at the VP level baffled as to why I was selected to be laid off. Is this fair? Is this legal? I know the corporate world has gone into the crapper....

HomeGuru

replicant4319 said:
Hello, I was laid off 2 weeks ago. I was with the company for 8 years and worked my butt off the entire time. I am one of the few individuals who helped the company grow into something very large. About 2 years ago, we baught another company and the two merged. Many people from the that company came into our company, including my manager. Of course my manager wanted to hire people he knew from his previous position and tried hard to get some of them on full time, one actually came to work in our department and a few became contracted "temps". I still wokred very hard, sacrificed many things in my life for the better of the company. Now, the point...I was laid off due to "budget cut-backs" however, my department is still contracting 2 people, paying them more and this is work that I, a full time employee could do. Is this fair? Is this legal? I know the corporate world has gone into the crapper....
**A: what state are you in?

C

CheeseBlotto

Fair is in the eye of the beholder. But it's legal.

C

CheeseBlotto

I served as well and I hate it when people play the "I'm owed" card. When I was in, I got the check and benefits I was promised. I'm owed nothing else.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

replicant4319

CheeseBlotto said:
I served as well and I hate it when people play the "I'm owed" card. When I was in, I got the check and benefits I was promised. I'm owed nothing else.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I said nothing about being "owed" anything. I was just stating how screwed up the legal system is in this country and the fact that I defended it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
First of all, right to work means you can't be forced to join a union to get work. What you mean is that GA, like every other state in the US except Montana and even Montana in some circumstances, is an employment at will state.

What happened to you may or may not have been fair, but nothing in your post suggests it violates any laws.

replicant4319

cbg said:
First of all, right to work means you can't be forced to join a union to get work. What you mean is that GA, like every other state in the US except Montana and even Montana in some circumstances, is an employment at will state.

What happened to you may or may not have been fair, but nothing in your post suggests it violates any laws.

Thank you for the polite response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">