• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfairly suspended from work!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GoodCindi

My 15 year old son works for a local restaurant as a cashier in Illinois. Throughout the course of a work day several people are in the drawer, including managers. At the end of the work day my son is sent home and the manager counts the money. The whole time he has worked there no one has ever said anything to him about his cash drawer. One day he goes to pick up his check and there is a suspension notice attached to it that his cash drawer was $75.00 short and he will be suspended for one week because of this. My son is extremely upset and feels they are accusing him of stealing. The notice does not come right out and say that but it does imply it. Is there any legal recourse he can take?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Yes, but be prepared that he can lose this job as a result of the legal recourse.

They cannot just accuse him/imply something was his fault without notification the same day. It doesn't sound right to me, and I think that because he is 15, they believe they can get away with it.

Let your son stand up for his rights. If he is legally able to work (work permit, etc), then he should have no problem bringing up a potential libel lawsuit. See, read the following definition below and you will see why I say libel. They are accusing him in his profession/work place of underhanded/fraudlent and criminal activity. Employers can't do that without being able to substantially back it up with hardcore evidence.

Defamation, sometimes called "defamation of character", is spoken or written words that falsely and negatively reflect on a living person's reputation.

If a person or the news media says or writes something about you that is understood to lower your reputation, or that keeps people from associating with you, defamation has occurred. Slander and libel are two forms of defamation.
Libel is a written defamation.

In order to prove defamation, you have to be able to prove that what was said or written about you was false. If the information is true, or if you consented to publication of the material, you will not have a case. However, you may bring an defamatory action if the comments are so reprehensible and false that they effect your reputation in the community or cast aspersions on you.

Read all about defamation at this link:
http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/libel_and_slander/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">