• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfortunate Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Perplexed in NC

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I work in technical support.

I've been at my place of employment for 14 months. About 4 months ago, I and 4 co-workers (of equal tenure) were actively demoted from the Technical Assistance Center to the customer service call center. While none of us were happy about being moved into this department, I (the lone female of the group) have been singularly subjected to accusations that I've made derrogatory comments regarding the move in one instance, and being told I don't talk to my co-workers in the next. I've inquired about the source of the allegations and have repeatly asked to be given an opportunity to meet with the accusers. To no avail. I've repeatedly been asked by management to "smile" more, however my managers have never made the same requests of the males in my group (those who moved along with me).
Granted, I was happier in the Technical Assistance Center as I was amongst people of like interests, however in the customer service call center, there is a lot of gossip and the like of which I chose not to participate.

Recently I received my first performance review where my technical skills were rated higher than those of the males in my group, however they nailed me on "personality" issues, simply because I chose not to join the "girlfriend's" club an participate in the call center grapevine. I come to work and do my job. I have a technician's mentality and have little patience for nonsense. In total I received a 2.5 on my performance evaluation, while my technical skills were ALL rated 3, 3.5 and 4. I did not receive a raise, however a male counterpart who also received a 2.5 on his evaluation was given a satisfactory raise. Is this actionable under the equal pay rule?

As a result of the evaluation, and in following the policy and procedures manual, I refuted the "personality" comments on my evaluation as they were largely based on hearsay. When I received no response from my rebuttal from any of my managers, I took the next step the Human Resources. During the meeting with the Human Resources Manager, I was told I would be re-evaluated within 30 days. Since then, 3 of my male counterparts have been relocated back to the Technical Assistance Center, inspite of the fact my technical skills are the highest, I was left behind. The only male who was left behind also received the 2.5 and has the lowest technical skills.

I had no problems when I worked in the Technical Assistance Center whatsoever, however, since moving to the call center, my working life has been nothing short of a living hell where I constantly must defend myself against any and all accusations made against me, however unfounded they may be. To put it modestly, my new manager does not like me and was very much angered when I refuted my evaluation and subsequently expressed my concerns to HR when I received no response to my rebuttal.

Yesterday, I had a particularly difficult call with a customer where the customer disonnected the call. I noted the details of the call in my text screen and dispatched a technician for service. As I was on my way out of the door, at the end of my day, my managers, 3 in all, along with the HR Manager called me into the office stating they had received a customer complaint where the customer stated I hung up her, and because I noted in my text that she hung up on me, that constituted falsification of record and they were terminating me. I vehemently denied the charges, as I have worked there for many months and have no disciplinary actions on my HR record and have NEVER and would never intentionally hang up on a customer. After several minutes of trying to defend myself against these charges, the HR manager gave me a "verbal" suspension "pending further investigation". Well, I assume I am fired, but do I have ANY recourse on any of these issues? And is my job salvagable?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is this actionable under the equal pay rule?

Not without some evidence that he was given a raise and you not BECAUSE OF your gender. The Equal Pay Act does NOT say that all men and all women in the same position must make the same money; only that differences not be based on their gender. If he received a raise and you didn't, even though you received the same rating, but it's because he worked for the company longer, or because he has a different skill set than you do, or because the company sees you as a complainer (even if unjustified) that's not illegal.

my new manager does not like me

It is legal for an employee to be singled out because the manager does not like them. It may be unfair; I'm not saying otherwise. But it is legal.

the HR manager gave me a "verbal" suspension "pending further investigation". Well, I assume I am fired

No, you are not fired. You are suspended pending further investigation. The two are not synonymous.

do I have ANY recourse on any of these issues?

Nothing in your post shows conclusively that you are being discriminated against BECAUSE OF your gender. Unless you have some evidence that it is that you have not shared with us, no, I'm not seeing any recourse.

And is my job salvagable?

Unknown with the information available to us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">