• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uniforms and the employee paying for them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lcress29617

In the state of South Carolina, what is the law on employers requiring employees to pay for uniforms. I know that an employer can say you must dark traousers and a white shirt, but if an employer does the ordering (right down to the embroidery) specific name brand, specific color, specific embroidery making it not useful to the employee if the job should end. Not something you could wear on the streets either, why would the employee have to pay for them????

racer72

Many companies require employees to wear specific clothing and the employees pay. USPS, FedEx, UPS, are some that come to mind. Did you know that you can deduct the cost and upkeep of the clothing from your federal income tax return?

why would the employee have to pay for them????
Probably a company policy and perfectly legal.

Beth3

Whether the employer is required to pay for uniforms is a matter of each State's wage and hour laws. I suggest you contact SC's Department of Labor and inquire about this.

I sent to SC's DOL website but unfortunately there is no search feature so it was impossible to determine whether they have a specific statute that addresses this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">