• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninformed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goofa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I work for a program that is relatively new because it changed from last year to this year. Last week they called one of my coworkers and told her that she would transfer to a different location starting her next shift. Due to health reasons, this coworker was able to get a doctor's note stating that she couldn't make that change. That was on a Friday. The following Monday the administration said that someone else would have to go and stated what the hours were, including that some of it was paid drive time which would get me back into town at the time I needed to. No one wanted to go, so I got stuck. They wanted me to start there the next day, but since the hours were earlier and the new location was in a different town, I told them I would need a few days to juggle morning schedules around for my family. That was agreed to.

In the week that followed, I tried repeatedly to find out if prescheduled days off would be honored and to confirm the definite start time of the shift. No one would give me answers, so I told them that I had to be off shift in time to drive the now longer distance to my daughter's school to pick her up. I also let them know that the previous scheduled days off were now days I didn't have childcare, since a transfer was never written as part of my job description. Still I heard nothing. The Friday of that week I was finally informed that drive time would not be paid and that my hours were not going to give me time to pick up my daughter from school. Then later on Friday I was informed by someone at the new location that it was their understanding that my previous days off were not going to be honored. I am to start on my next shift with still no concrete information. I don't have alternatives when it comes to pick up and childcare, which is why I worked at the location I did, and, depending on what they say when I leave and about my days off, I have no choice but to resign if they won't work with me. I don't know what to put in my letter of resignation and I am wondering if I would qualify for unemployment since they are unwilling to try to problem solve this with me and won't answer any of my questions.

commentator

If you are going to resign, do it, do not try to work the shifts at the new location and see if it works out. You need to make this decision immediately. Unemployment in this situation is a great big "maybe." What you put in your resignation letter isn't real important. You are resigning for work related reasons, eg, the change of location and hours.

If you quit a job for personal reasons such as child care arrangements and days off promised, that is probably not going to get you unemployment. But if you refuse a transfer, which will require further distance to drive, and a re arrangement of your personal schedule...and in some states one that requires a rearrangement of your child care schedule...not all states....that's sort of a toss up. It will depend a lot on what your driving distance is now, what your hours are...incidentally, hours and days off are not an ironclad guaranteed protected part of any job. There's not really much protection of such in unemployment law. If the employer wants to change these things for business reasons, and you elect to quit for these reasons, it's sort of a stand off. As I said, you'll be able to file, of course, but its hard to say whether you'll be approved.

Remember, unemployment will be a lot less than you are making right now while working, even if it is approved. You may not find another job soon. You have to take all these things into consideration when deciding it's worth the chance, that you absolutely have no recourse on changing your child care, etc. Big decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">