• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unjust Payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tiffyt9

NJ
im a 18 year old male that has been working at a assisted living home is the kitchen as a utilities worker for about 5 months. i was orginally hired at the pay rate of $8/hr. about 2 to 3 month ago my boss was fired and a new one came in. when she hired people she started them off with $8.50/hr. when i confronted here about the pay difference i asked if i was able to have my pay bumped up tp $8.50/hr as well. she had said that she was not going to change anyones pay, but recently a female co-worker of mine that was hired by the same person as me had her pay changed from $8/hr to $8.50/hr. So now there are people working at my job with the same job description that get payed more than me but been employed at the job a shorter time then me. I was wondering it there is any type of labor law against this.

Also, this is a little off topic, is it illegal for a company to not recycle.

Thanks,
Tiffon

Beth3

There are no laws which require employees doing the same job to receive the same rate of pay. The law only says employees cannot be paid differently BECAUSE of their race, gender, age if over 40, religion, national origin, etc.

The fact that you're male and a female co-worker is making more does not automatically make this discrimination. You can be paid differently in spite of your genders but not because of them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And no, nothing in the law makes it mandatory for a company to recycle.

Beth3

Provided we're not talking about hazardous waste of some kind, which would be subject to EPA or DNR regulations.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not sure what kind of hazardous waste would be found in an assisted living home. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">