• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unjustly fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimsanders

What is the name of your state? TX I was employed as a paraprofessional w/ the school district my family and I have lived in for 15yrs. I did childcare for district employees--I cared for 7 toddlers. I LOVED my job! I have been doing childcare off and on for 15yrs (except when I went to college for a short period of time). I was let go due to "misconduct"---which is a lie. I have parents writing letters(current and past parents) to the district on my behalf. I have asked for proof/documentation and was told by my former boss that she will write a "summary" for me/file.I was told by HR that i can view it when i sign my "exit papers". I am going to appeal it although i am considered an "at-will"employee and basically have no rights.???..I realize that I probably won't get my job back but I do not my good-name tarnished in any way!Also, with "misconduct", i won't be able to get un-employment ins.(although i have never asked for it).Can you offer any advice,please???

L

loku

If you can prove you were not guilty of misconduct then it is actionable defamation if they tell anyone you were.

kimsanders

Thankyou for your quick and knowledgable response!! Should i have recieved my final paycheck?(I'm in TX). HR is making me wait till payday( for everyone), along w/ the documentation I requested. The 25th of Feb. is payday----and I was salary. Thankyou soo very much!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Txas, if you are fired they have six days to get you the final paycheck. If you quit, they have till the next regular payday. Whether or not you were salaried does not matter.

I'd like to add something to the above post. You can sue them if:

1.) It is untrue.
2.) They KNOW it is untrue.
3.) It is said with malice.
4.) You suffer damages.

kimsanders

Thankyou for your quick and knowledgable response!! Should i have recieved my final paycheck?(I'm in TX). HR is making me wait till payday( for everyone), along w/ the documentation I requested. The 25th of Feb. is payday----and I was salary. Thankyou soo very much!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">