• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unjustly fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

josiej

I need some advice, I work 2 jobs. My part-time job was at a restaurant. I worked there for 4 months. A table used a $25.00 gift certificate, I printed a receipt and took both the certificate and the receipt to one of the assistant managers and asked if I needed to keep the hard copy. I was told no, so I threw the hard copy away. Later that night the owner settle up my receipts and took the money that was owed (we keep our own "drawer"). He asked me for the hard copy, I told him what had happened. He got upset and informed me that I was not to throw away the certificate unless the receipt was initialed by a manager. I again explained and once he realized that I fully understood, he finished cashing me out for the night. He even said that he would call me the next day if they needed to come in (on-call). The next night I received a call from a co-worker at the restaurant and she said that she was told I was fired. I called the restaurant and was told by the owner that, in fact, I was fired because he had decided he did not believe my story. He also said that he talked to the assistant and she said that she had never talked to me about anything with regards to a gift certificate. I tried to explained again, but he said he would have to think about it, but thought it was best if I no longer worked there. This is a place where I have witnessed an employee attempt to pad customer bills in front of the owner and not receive any type of punishment. I feel that the action that was taken against me was unjust and wrong. Was it?

[Edited by josiej on 02-01-2001 at 02:50 PM]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

To help us better serve you, please shorten your question, and include your state. Thank you!!!

J

josiej

Help

I am from Iowa. I attempted to short it, but am unsure what information to leave out. Sorry. Thanks for the tip.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">