• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unlawful search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eric c baugus

What is the name of your state? ohio. at the start of my shift, my supervisor gathered 5 people, took them to the office,for a urine sample.I was one of those first 5 people tested.I volenteered to be the first one to give a urine sample, a corporate employee that I had never met befor, searched me, by lifting my pant legs, to check for hidden objects in my socks. he also patted me down as a police officer would do, befor an arrest. I was the only person checked in this fasion. he did not find anything on me, so I went into the restroom,gave them a urine sample, and returned to my job station. they continued to take 2 employees at a time into the office,for urine samples, until they had taken samples from everyone on our shift, 22 people total. as time past, the people that had not yet been tested,were drinking as much water as they could, in order to delute their urine. of the 22 people tested,14 of us tested positive for marijuana. needless to say, there is a drug problem where I used to work! our shift is not the only shift with a substance abuse problem,although it was the only shift tested. My question is did they have the legal right to single out our shift, and did they have the right to single me out, by me being the only one out of 22 that got searched in the manner which I was searched? I have been told that, only an officer of the law can search you in this manner. sorry for rambling, but I need to know, before persueing this any further.thanks and have a good day.

Beth3

"My question is did they have the legal right to single out our shift" Yes.

"and did they have the right to single me out, by me being the only one out of 22 that got searched in the manner which I was searched?" Yes. Presumably they were checking to make sure you didn't have a clean urine sample on your person.

"as time past, the people that had not yet been tested,were drinking as much water as they could, in order to delute their urine" That's both stupid and ineffective. Cannaboids will still show up and the test will also show that the idiot employee tried to dilute the sample.

JETX

"My question is did they have the legal right to single out our shift"
*** Barring a collective bargaining agreement to the contrary, yes.

"and did they have the right to single me out, by me being the only one out of 22 that got searched in the manner which I was searched?"
*** Yes. They could have simply decided that the search wasn't necessary, or that it was too time consuming or any of 100 other reasons to not continue the 'pat search'. Hell, they could have been watching the others to see if they exhibited any concerns due to your search.... and discontinued when they didn't.

"I have been told that, only an officer of the law can search you in this manner. "
*** You were told wrong. Anyone on the street can search you.... if you let them. In this case, you provide nothing to indicate that you even protested at the time.

"sorry for rambling, but I need to know, before persueing this any further."
*** Pursuing this further where?? Your post reveals NO violations of law.

E

eric c baugus

deluted samples

not to contridict your theory, but two employees that i had smoked with, the very night preveous to the test are still working, due to the low amount detected in their urine.both drank mass quantities of water before giving a sample.also one of the first five to go, claimed he could not urinate, the nurse taking the samples would only give him 4 oz. of water every 20 min. when asked why the water consumption was beeing monitored and logged,her reply was not to delute the sample.

JETX

"not to contridict your theory"
*** Sorry, but there is no 'theory' to contradict. The facts are:
- unless there is some agreement to the contrary, they can random test your shift.
- and if they get positive results, they can take any allowed action up to and including termination.

Get over this.... you admitted yourself that you used marijuana!!! How the hell can you now try to claim that the employer can't test and terminate???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">