• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful termination or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LegalLen

NY

I was in the vicinity of an accident not caused by myself, that cost a large sum of money in damages, repairs and lost business. More or less some 'silly' actions in the front area of the accident site by a few others lead to myself and one other running towards the back area and away from it. As I was several feet ahead, the person behind be initiated the incident, unintentionally and in a non malicious manner. Said person was terminated hours later.

The next day I was myself terminated in what I believe was for no just cause. One main reason was no one came forward to enlighten the situation, although cameras did record everything. However, those that were in the front did not recieve a job termination days after the fact.

Although I do see how it could be grounds for termination, I don't think not coming forward sooner would be a just cause, as I was not the person that initiated the situation. The writted reason was 'horseplay that lead to the incident' when I had no direct interaction in said action.

Would this be grounds for termination or no? They have everything recorded from what happened as well, yetspueriors still felt it was grounds for termination.

mlane58

NY

I was in the vicinity of an accident not caused by myself, that cost a large sum of money in damages, repairs and lost business. More or less some 'silly' actions in the front area of the accident site by a few others lead to myself and one other running towards the back area and away from it. As I was several feet ahead, the person behind be initiated the incident, unintentionally and in a non malicious manner. Said person was terminated hours later.

The next day I was myself terminated in what I believe was for no just cause. One main reason was no one came forward to enlighten the situation, although cameras did record everything. However, those that were in the front did not recieve a job termination days after the fact.

Although I do see how it could be grounds for termination, I don't think not coming forward sooner would be a just cause, as I was not the person that initiated the situation. The writted reason was 'horseplay that lead to the incident' when I had no direct interaction in said action.

Would this be grounds for termination or no? They have everything recorded from what happened as well, yetspueriors still felt it was grounds for termination.
You work in an at-will state and with that being said, unless you have a bona fide contract or are part of a collective bargaining unit, you can be terminted for anything as long as it is not for your race, gender, age, religion etc.... If the employer didn't like what you wore to work, they could term you for that, maybe not fair, but not illegal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Just cause" for termination is not required in 49 out of 50 states, including NY.

Or, to put it another way, unless either Title VII and related laws, or public policy, is violated by the termination, just cause is whatever the employer says it is.

Beth3

Would this be grounds for termination or no? That's entirely up to your employer and obviously they believe it is.

LegalLen

Thank you for your quick and helpful responses. I had a feeling on the outset that this was the answer, although I never gave it a further background check before posting here. I appreciate everyones responses.

seniorjudge

Thank you for your quick and helpful responses. I had a feeling on the outset that this was the answer, although I never gave it a further background check before posting here. I appreciate everyones responses.
A lot of times, we get blasted for giving the correct information.

We appreciate your attitude.

LegalLen

A lot of times, we get blasted for giving the correct information.

We appreciate your attitude.
I asked for valid input and I got it. Precieved it as well intentioned and not arrogant. I really do appreciate it all, as this is a really important matter for me.

I have just a couple more related questions though, if I can get some help again, please. All related to the same matter.

The site where the accident occured, was not owned by said company and not rented by said company. They are using the space for free. The actual space in reference is owned by a large city company (sorry about being vague -- trying not to give names but trying not to tell too little). The accident occured inside that non owned/rented area, which housed a lot of product. The damaged items are being checked to see what can be salvaged and what insurance companies can cover.

Can a company claim damage occured in a place owned by another company and have it insured? Wouldn't the prouduct from that company be in legal posession of the storage space of the other company? Furthermore, if the accident occured in the storage space legally owned by the other company, and not by the company I was previously employed with, would there still be grounds for termination? I know their product got damaged, but it took place in a storage area not woned or rented by them.

Thanks again for the help and feedback thus far.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you rent a storage site and your products are damaged, your insurance would cover it (assuming you had it properly insured).

Yes, you can still be terminated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just for clarification, a wrongful termination means that there is a specific law that prohibits the employer from firing you for the reason they did. It does not mean one that is unfair, unjust, a violation of company policy, or for something you didn't do.

Your termination was legal. No matter who owned the space or the goods. No law says you cannot be terminated for actions that take place off company property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">