• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tuesdaysgone

I am in Florida.

After quitting my job I reguested my employer send my last paycheck to my home address which I provided. I did not receive my paycheck but did receive a letter from my employer stating he was going to withhold my last check due to monies I owed. My former employer is stating that I owe him for relocation expenses and health care expense for myself and my dependents. At the time of my relocation, my former employer never stated that the money would need to be paid back..all that was said was we will work it out later. There was never any written or oral agreement about this expense. Also, when my former employer switched his company's health insurance to a new provider and added myseld and my family onto it - I was never informed of the cost. During my employment my former employer never deducted anything from my check or stated either orally or in writing that anything would be coming out. He has stated that he is going to seek legal avenues to retrieve the money owed and not give me my final check. Also in his letter he only gave me one day to respond and since this letter was received my former employers wife has called and told me he is going to a lawyer on Monday which I think is intimidation. Anyway my question(s) is Can my paycheck be withheld? Can he sue me for relocation expense and health insurance cost? Do I have any legal recourse?

B

buddy2bear

I think that unless your employer has a written agreement stating that you would be responsible for paying back these monies, then he doesn't have a leg to stand on. He can try to sue you for what he thinks he can get, but he really won't win and chances are, unless there is a great deal of money involved, he won't find a lawyer who will handle this, outside of maybe sending you a first letter hoping that you will get scared and just go away.

You are entitled to your final paycheck minus the taxes only. I suggest you contact your State's Wage and Hour division and file a claim. If you do get a letter from a lawyer trying to recoup the money your employer says you owe, then send that to Wage and Hour also. Let them handle this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">