• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dukerich

Hi

I've done some contract work with a small company in California which hasn't paid my for the bulk of the hours I've billed. I've billed ~55 hours of which they've only paid for 10 hours. Their reason for not paying was that their client (whom's project I was working on) didn't pay them. When they hired me, they spoke of a bucket of money set aside to pay employees for hours billed even if they don't receive payments from their clients. Now, they keep deferring my questions regarding payment but instead keep talking about future opportunities. At this point, I have no interest in any additional work with them and just want to get paid for my work.

Since I'm employed by this Company as a part-time employee, am I entitled to be paid even if they don't receive payments from their customer? Do I have a case? What are my options?

Thanks,
dukerich

L

lawrat

You are entitled to all payments plus interest if you are an employee (according to pay schedule). If you are an independent contractor, check your contract to see how often you should be paid.

If you request payment and you don't get it, sue. Simple as that. www.attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">