• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid wages after I left company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mthompso

What is the name of your state? CO

I was working for a cycling coaching company and when I gave notice that I was leaving the company they told me that I had to buy out my athletes, if I wished to continue coaching them, with 2 months of salary. I never verbally agreed to this nor is there anything about it in the contract I signed. I gave notice at the beginning of June that I would finish out the month and that would be it. I had not been paid for May yet (part of the reason for leaving) so the owner said that I would not be paid for May or June and would cover the buy out. When I told him that I was going to get a lawyer he said that he would change it to a one month buy out and he paid me for June. I still have not been paid for may. It's not a huge amount ($210), but for a college student that goes a long way. I've looked into small claims court, but the owner lives in North Carolina and I live in Colorado (I worked remotely). Any suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">