• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid wages, cancellation of insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rrhaberman

My situation is this: I was a salaried + bonus finance manager for an auto dealership in Wisconsin. Upon finding other employment I notified my boss two weeks prior to starting my new job (where I was employed two years +). I was a model employee.. never written up, and in excellent standing with the organization. Their pay days follow a week lapse, so on my last day of work, the paycheck I received was short for the last week of my employment. On that check they listed, instead of my guarantee and demo allowance, severance. They also deducted twice the amount of money for insurance and took out almost no taxes. I had informed them that I had immediate benefits with my new organization and wanted my insurance with them cancelled. The benefits they deducted from my check was for the next month.. after my employment ended. I have filed with the department of labor in Wisconsin claiming unpaid wages for five days, demo allowance for one month (paid in arrears for the full month prior to my last day), pro-rated allowance for the first week of the month I was employed, unused vacation days (6) that they refused to give, and reimbursement for the insurance they deducted. I guess my question is: What are they legally bound to pay me (my pay plan states my monthly salary and allowance are guaranteed every month). Also, how can they use a severance pay notation on my last check when I had no contract, I had given my notice and wasn't discharged (I always believed there had to be certain stipulations present on the part of the employer in order for a severence package even to be considered like a closing, buyout, or permanent layoff?)

------------------

ALawyer

The state office will work it out.

I am confused. What difference does it make what they called it?

As for the insurance, I do not know what their policy provided -- many firms need 30 days notice to drop someone.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">