• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Wages - Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pddiemer

I worked for a temp agency for a week and had great feedback from the company that I was working for. In fact, they wanted to hire me just after me working there for a two or three days. By the time my second week started, I did something I shouldn't have done - I abandoned the job. Obviously the temp agency was very upset with me.

Despite this, doesn't the temp agency still have a right to pay me my wages? They stated that they needed to talk with me before they would mail my check. I finally called about two+ weeks later, and they just wanted to know what happened. They weren' t too nice about it and neither was I. I asked why I hadn't received my check and they said that they sent it out (which I believe is untrue), but since I didn't get it they'll cut me a new one. All they were really doing was trying to get me to call to see what happened. I told them I won the lottery and I wanted the paycheck to give to charity.

In the state of Georgia, I'm pretty sure there are no labor laws or codes stating when an employer is required to disburse payment.

What exactly should I do to get my wages that are due me?

I know they are entitled to pay me money that is due me, but at the same time, they aren't required to send it to me in any certain amount of time. I spoke with them over a week ago and they said they'd get it out to me. Still waiting... So altogether, it's been nearly a month and a half since I should have been paid.

Thanks for your help!

JETX

Write them a letter, certified RRR. Demand your unpaid wages in full within 5 business days of receipt of your letter. Include that if they do not pay, you will:
1) Report them to the state labor department and/or
2) File a lawsuit against them in small claims court.

Then, sit back and wait for your check. If it doesn't arrive, do #1 and 2 above.

P

pddiemer

Unpaid wages, continued...

I followed your advice and sent the following letter. They recd it this past Tuesday. They've now called me on Tuesday and Wednesday asking me to call them - today is now Thursday. They have all the info they need from me, so why do I need to call them? It seems as if Anna's boss "needs" to talk with me first. Probably just wants to find out the same thing Anna did, why I abandoned the job. Anyway, if they don't send me my check, shall I continue with my action plan or just give in and call them - even though I obviously don't want to....

Thanks for your advice!

My Letter:

I am sending this letter to you with regret that previous efforts to obtain my Priority One paycheck have been unsuccessful. This paycheck is due me for one full weeks pay (40 hours) at $13.00 / hour for working at Jenka from July 30th, 2001 – August 3rd, 2001.

I have left numerous voicemail messages to try to receive my paycheck with no success. I have also spoken with Anna who stated that my paycheck had already been sent out, but since I hadn’t received it, she would have it reissued. That conversation was over two weeks ago and still no paycheck. Over the past six weeks, I have tried to get your company to fulfill it’s obligation to me. I had assumed that since you are a well-established, reputable staffing agency, that some small oversight is to blame.

Please send my paycheck to me within five (5) business days of receipt of this letter so that I do not have to call the Georgia Department of Labor and make a visit to Small Claims Court.

I look forward to receiving my paycheck soon.

Sincerely,

Paul Diemer

JETX

Call them and see what they want. Be sure to remind them that the 'clock is ticking' and that you expect the paycheck owed to you.

Sometimes this is like a tennis game.... you always want to keep the ball in their court. You sent them the letter, that put the ball in their court. Now, they have called you, returning the ball to your court. You now have to SLAM it passed them and get your check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">