• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unreasonable firing and forced illegal methods of health risks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zoey11

I am a nurse and recently fired from my job at a doctor's office.
Here's the story and would be so thankful if someone would respond with knowledgable opinion.
Four weeks ago, I was given an over 6% raise and hugged with a "good job."(I had only been there 8 months)
The next week, my hours were cut as business slowed and when I approached the appropriate person respectfully that I could not afford to have 15-20 hours off a two week pay period when their business slacked off and could I possibly do other jobs for which I have had training in, they got very mad and said no.
I was warned not to ever say anything of complaint by other employees ,that was not just what they wanted or others had been fired for it.
From that day forward for three weeks, the office mgr started finding every mistake that another girl did and blamed it on me. I was never approached, warned or told to change anything I was doing,it came to me through the grapevine that I was getting the blame for the other girl's constant mistakes that they were real chummy with and had protected no matter what.I changed nothing from my job perfomance from a week earlier, no comments ever from the doctors of any mistakes or underachievement in job perfomance. We got along well.
Suddenly, four weeks after the raise and praise, and three weeks after the asking for more hours, I was told by the office mgr that I was being let go. Reason? She said there were complaints from two of the doctors and she saw me not keeping busy or something, which certainly was not the case as I never wasted any time and had witnesses who are geniunely concerned for their job stability if they have any complaints.
I called one of the doctors and he said he was told by the office manager that two of the doctors wanted me out.( I know this was untrue)He pleaded with her to keep me, but she said he only worked part time and it would not be enough hours for me anyway.He quickly wrote me a letter of reference and said kind words.
One of the other workers asked the two doctors if that was true and they said no, but there wasn't much anyone could do once this nutty lady got something stuck in her craw, that was it and they had witnessed it many time before.
Other employees as well as the doctor I mainly worked for stated that they were willing to write statements of my good job performance.
My second question is the liablity of the office when we were forced to clean up tables after skin removals without gloves. When I first started there and began putting on gloves to pick up the used razor blade, syringe, and scraping instruments, I was instructed by my employer not to take that much time as we had to quickly get the room ready for other patients and were supposed to pick up the used blades and instruments as well as bloody gauze with a peice of guaze that looked clean.
While I knew this was dangerous and should not have done it, I needed the job and became extremely fast in cleaning up the mess to get another patient in the room. They booked 2-3 patients every 15 minutes, so that had to give time for the set up, removal, clean up, go get the patients and chart between the next one. You can imagine how fast you have to be. But this concerned me constantly. When I asked if we could possibly start scheduling only 1 or2 every 15 minutes so as to have time to glove up, I was told it wouldn't be enough money for them to profit.
Is all of this legal and right for them to do?

Z

zoey11

Also, one addition. No employees were ever allowed any breaks of 15 minutes. They are allowed anywhere from 10-45 minutes for lunch but are docked for the time. You are always automatically docked thirty minutes whether you take 10 minutes or thirty. Is this also allowable by law? Thanks for anyone's advice on this!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">