• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unstable coworker causing huge problems at work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dambkatt

I had a fall out with a coworker. She was a little too clingy and unstable, so I told her I could not be friends with her outside of work anymore. She still continued to contact me outside of work and I was out sick one day. The day I was out sick she texted me and I wasn't feeling well and so annoyed that I told her I thought she was a crazy b**tch and she had better leave me alone. She was at work when I sent it, I was at home sick. I didn't hear from her for a few days and than she started texting and calling me outside work again. I told her if she didn't stop I would call the police. She called me 8 times in a 3 hour time span. After I told her that I received a phone call from the police, she called them claiming I was harassing her. I told them exactly what happened and they just told me to not speak to her anymore.

Well come to find out 2 weeks later, she showed that text message I sent to her telling her I thought she was crazy. to my boss and human resources and said I was affecting her work performance and creating a hostile environment for her.
I just found this out yesterday after being pulled into human resources. I explained my side of things and told them it was a social situation gone bad. They brought up the fact that cellular phone usage at work is against company policy. I told them I was not at work when this happened. I told them I have never done or said anything to her at work that would compromise my job or be considered unprofessional. I also told them that I felt she liked me in more than a platonic way and that is why she is taking it to this level. I'm straight and I believe she became obsessed with me and she was extremely bothered by my friendship rejection. They told me there will be an investigation and that thing are to remain as professional as possible in the work environment.

I left work last night and came home and she started calling me again. She called me 7 times and left 2 voicemails. One of them telling me "I'm going to be very sorry". I than contacted my local police station and filed a report. They told me it would be in my best interest to let my work know that this happened last night. So I called human resources this morning before I went into work and all they said to me was that I handled it correctly. I than go into work and I was told I was being sent home pending further investigation. When I asked why they said for the safety of everyone it was in the best interest of both parties to not be present. I'm now in fear I'm going to be fired for sending a text message to someone I believe is mentally unstable, on my own time. What can I do legally?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

I had a fall out with a coworker. She was a little too clingy and unstable, so I told her I could not be friends with her outside of work anymore. She still continued to contact me outside of work and I was out sick one day. The day I was out sick she texted me and I wasn't feeling well and so annoyed that I told her I thought she was a crazy b**tch and she had better leave me alone. She was at work when I sent it, I was at home sick. I didn't hear from her for a few days and than she started texting and calling me outside work again. I told her if she didn't stop I would call the police. She called me 8 times in a 3 hour time span. After I told her that I received a phone call from the police, she called them claiming I was harassing her. I told them exactly what happened and they just told me to not speak to her anymore.

Well come to find out 2 weeks later, she showed that text message I sent to her telling her I thought she was crazy. to my boss and human resources and said I was affecting her work performance and creating a hostile environment for her.
I just found this out yesterday after being pulled into human resources. I explained my side of things and told them it was a social situation gone bad. They brought up the fact that cellular phone usage at work is against company policy. I told them I was not at work when this happened. I told them I have never done or said anything to her at work that would compromise my job or be considered unprofessional. I also told them that I felt she liked me in more than a platonic way and that is why she is taking it to this level. I'm straight and I believe she became obsessed with me and she was extremely bothered by my friendship rejection. They told me there will be an investigation and that thing are to remain as professional as possible in the work environment.

I left work last night and came home and she started calling me again. She called me 7 times and left 2 voicemails. One of them telling me "I'm going to be very sorry". I than contacted my local police station and filed a report. They told me it would be in my best interest to let my work know that this happened last night. So I called human resources this morning before I went into work and all they said to me was that I handled it correctly. I than go into work and I was told I was being sent home pending further investigation. When I asked why they said for the safety of everyone it was in the best interest of both parties to not be present. I'm now in fear I'm going to be fired for sending a text message to someone I believe is mentally unstable, on my own time. What can I do legally?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You are going to have to wait out the storm. Nothing you can do at this point. Your employer is acting appropriately.

swalsh411

Your company can fire you if they choose but if they are fair and things really happened the way you tell it and you haven't left anything out (for example if you had sex with her) then I don't see why they would. In hindsight telling HR that you filed a police report against a co-worker was probably not the best idea because that raises things to a whole other level. The last thing an employer wants is to be put in the middle of two squabbling employees.

dambkatt

I'm straight so no I have not had any relations with her of that kind. I believe she became somewhat obsessed with me. I told them about the report so they would know she was still contacting me. It looks bad on her to be claiming I'm bothering her but she is the one contacting me, I thought.

Antigone*

I'm straight so no I have not had any relations with her of that kind. I believe she became somewhat obsessed with me. I told them about the report so they would know she was still contacting me. It looks bad on her to be claiming I'm bothering her but she is the one contacting me, I thought.
I think you did the right think informing your employer, but I do believe that they need to investigate.

I don't think sending that inflammatory text was the way to go though, and you might have been able to avoid a lot of these problems had you not been so rude.

dambkatt

I think you did the right think informing your employer, but I do believe that they need to investigate.

I don't think sending that inflammatory text was the way to go though, and you might have been able to avoid a lot of these problems had you not been so rude.

I don't think I did anything wrong in that respect. I used my personal phone on my personal time. I did not break any laws. She brought something outside of work in. I can't believe this is even happening.

Beth3

You need to wait this out and see what happens. Perhaps HR sent you home because they've come to realize how unstable this co-worker is and they honestly feel you're safer out of the workplace until they get this mess sorted out. Sit tight and in the meantime, DO NOT respond to any of her phone calls, text messages, or voice mail. Not even to tell her to leave you alone. If she shows up at your house, call the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">