• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsure of what todo next.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

recon757

:( I am from California, and I just do not know what to do, or what rights I have.

Earlier in the week I was told not show up to work by my employer, I did not have an idea why. I called that same day and was told that someone at the job site had issues with me so I needed to go home. For the last two days I have been calling my employer to find out whether I am being fired or not but there was no answer. I recorded the messages I left of the phone with the date and time.

There is only one incident that I had with an individual, and that individual did not like that I was being straight forward, before going home on that occasion, I remember that individual asked my to speak to me over the phone. I was asked if I had any problem, issues, I said I did not have any issues and no issues with any body. Then I was told by that individual that other "co-workers" did not like the way I answered over the radio. I said that I did not have any issues or problems with anybody and I said I am sorry you feel that way...so the individual said so this is a misunderstanding I said yes. That was the end of it.

It was not until today that my employer answered the phone, and I asked if I was going to be given a reason why I am being let go. I was told I was not being let go that instead I was being transferred to another job location, and I was asked why I made the assumption of being let go. I said because if someone tells you not to show up to work during your regular work schedule and no one says anything, no calls for three days about whats going on, that to me means I am being let go. Throughout the conversation I told my employer that I was going to record the conversation. I was told that human resources would contact me later.

I do not know what to do, and I no longer feel like it is proper for me to work there anymore due to this issue.

swalsh411

It is unfair but not illegal for an employer to string you along. They also do not need to provide a reason. "Somebody didn't like you" is good enough. File for unemployment while you look for a new job. You do not have to be "officially" terminated to file.

edit: CA requires terminated employees to be paid within one business day. If you are in fact fired and they didn't pay you on time you should file a complaint with EDD. You may be entitled to waiting time penalties.

Last edited:

Beth3

I do not know what to do, and I no longer feel like it is proper for me to work there anymore due to this issue.

It certainly is poor management on their part not to inform you timely that you are being transferred to another location but that's all it was - poor management. You can either wait until they give you info on the new job/location and continue to work for them or you can quit. Bear in mind that if you resign, you won't be eligible for unemployment benefits.

swalsh411

Just to be clear, filing for unemployment is not notice of resignation. What you don't want to do is say "If you don't assign me work by Monday then I quit". That would be considered a voluntary quit. File for unemployment, remain available for work, and look for a new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">