• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

untrue negative language on annual eval

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rvb2005

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? NC

Worked for company 5+ years--glowing work history & consistent high quality work and professional work ethic. Supervisor has voiced negative feelings toward me (since she came 3-4 years ago) because of my original hire agreement with former supervisor (I came to the position with specific duties which exclude some duties...i.e. on-call work). Supervisor excludes me from work-related info, group lunches, tries to find errors in my work, etc., over past 4 years. Her annual eval of me 3 years ago was low-scoring and unfair--she said because I did not take on-call work. She denied me a copy of the eval. Last year, I requested the Administrator sit in on eval (as 'protection')...eval was good. This year (new administrator) the supervisor eval'd me alone...horrible eval with negative and untrue language about my work habits and personal character. Language included:

threatening with others
demeaning to staff
disrespectful to staff
lack of follow-through
unwilling to help other staff

I asked my supervisor how she came up with the language she used. She said she surveyed the staff and wrote what they told her. I requested a copy of the eval--she denied my request. I asked how I could appeal. She said, "It won't do you any good." I appealed to her supervisor,the administrator, and asked for a staff survey evaluation (of any and all staff in the entire facility) to reveal her eval (and language) to be an untrue personal attack with untrue descriptions of me. He did not answer my email request. After 3 weeks I emailed him again to see if he was going to help me. He answered with a refusal...stating only supervisors perform evaluations. He said he would meet with me and my supervisor in 2 days. I was distraught and surveyed the staff myself--feeling I had no one to help me. My hope was that I could have some information from the staff survey to share with the administrator at the meeting in 2 days...with the hope that he might believe my claim of unfair treatment (then maybe he would help me). My supervisor discovered I was surveying the staff and I was called to the office and immediately terminated before having a chance to meet/discuss/share my survey with the administrator or appeal. The administrator explained it was wrong for me to do the survey (I felt I was protecting myself since no one would help me and I did not know it was wrong). If I had a chance to have the staff of the entire facility surveyed, the results would show that the supervisor's eval was a personal attack and not the staffs' opinion of me.

Do I have any grounds for legal recourse?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Thank you for sharing your story. When you have a legal question, be sure to let us know.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you don't. Whether you agree with it or not - for that matter, whether anyone else agrees with it or not - the supervisor is entitled to his/her opinion, misguided though it may be. All of the specifics you indicated are opinions, which are protected by law. You don't get to sue because someone has a negative opinion of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">