• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unusual Situation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buddy2bear

Maryland.

Went on job interview at large law firm. Was being interviewed for 1 specific attorney at that time. During interview process, list of work habits of attorney was discussed. Work habits lead me to conclusion that attorney had ADHD carried into adulthood (have older son who has ADHD, so I knew checklist by heart).

When attorney and I were 1 on 1, asked attorney if he had ADHD, to which he, very surprised, replied "yes," diagnosed late, "how did you know?" Short conversation about ADHD and son. Hired next day (surprised headhunter and me at how quick).

Worked for approximately 6 months and was told they were adding another attorney and paralegal to workload. Worked for 3 individuals for 1 month and was unable to handle workload due to constant necessary micro-management of 1st attorney. E-mailed personnel and told them that I was sorry, but due to the fact that 1st boss required so much of my attention, I was unable to adequately due justice to the work of 2nd attorney and paralegal without help.

Two days later, personnel reassigned 2nd attorney and paralegal and now I am working solely for original attorney. I am the only legal secretary in firm working for 1 attorney, which has me worried because personnel has told me that 1 to 1 ratio was not firm policy, which includes the secretaries of the "big guys," which my boss is not one, even though he is a partner.

Questions: Since I have been lead to believe that the firm knows my boss has ADHD, am I the "accommodation" do you think?

Do you think I have "hurt" myself, and possibly put myself in danger of not having a job in the foreseeable future, by admitting I couldn't handle 3 people without help?

I am coming up on my 1 year evaluation in 2 months. What could I use as an argument that I am valuable even though I work for only 1 attorney versus what the other legal secretaries handle? Bear in mind that no one, other than my boss and only 1 time, has ever mentioned ADHD specifically.

P.S.: My boss has not used an assigned paralegal for getting his briefs and exhibits together for filing since 3 months after I started working for him. I've taken over that chore, with his seeming approval, even though the paralegal keeps asking him for the work.

Although there are days I could tear my hair out, I really like this guy -- he is extremely intelligent (not only a JD but also a CPA) -- and because of my experience with my son, I think I've kept a step ahead of him -- LOL -- does wear me out though.

Beth3

I don't know how anybody here can possibly answer your questions. We don't know how severe your boss's ADHD is and whether it falls under the ADA or if it does, whether any accommodation is even necessary. Perhaps the only "accommodation" your boss needs is a subordinate who can tolerate his micro-managing.

I presume if they objected to your saying you couldn't handle the workload of three people, they would have replaced you with somsone who could, not reassigned the other attorney and paralegal.

Whether you've endangered your job security is something you need to ask your boss. I wouldn't bring up the ADHD thing again - that is your boss's business and irrelevant to your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">