• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent! Denied Unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

womanfish

I hope someone can help me. I am in New Jersey and have been fired from my job in a small, privately owned Supermarket. Having never been fired before I don't know the standard practices of unemployment determination. I have a notice of employee reprimand stating the reason and the fact that I was NOT working that day. I went in to pick up my check and do my grocery shopping. This is the text of the reprimand:

"Nancy directed cashier to take $1 off coupon - outdated - explained "'No one checks them"' cashier told store manager (name withheld) & Nancy admitted to this."

Might I add that she went up to tell him after taking the coupon and checking me out. The coupon was only 1 day old but I did cut the date off and would imagine they're more angry that I told her we don't check the dates. In any event, I applied for Unemployment on Nov. 1 which is when this happened. When I went to the orientation I was told that my claim was being held up for some reason, they didn't know why. I would be getting a telephone interview on Dec. 14 to determine my eligibility.

My question I guess is can they really deny me benefits because of this or is this just a standard delay? The company I worked for has been known for unethical practices and I wouldn't put it past them to try to beef up the charges a bit. My other ?? is whether or not I will receive benefits from the day I claimed or do I lose 6 weeks of benefits because of this.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me.
Nanci

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">