• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent H1B transfer hiring question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

info1810

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

- I would like to hire a friend of mine who has a H1B and will get laid off in few weeks from another company.

- He has great skills to help my business.

- I would like to transfer his H1B to my LLC.

- My company is an LLC. Unfortunately we do NOT have revenue yet.

Question 1: is it possible to hire the person without revenue at all? Is it possible to pay in equity only?

Question 2: if a cash salary has to be given, is it possible to have my friend invest in the company (he gets equity) and then I can pay him monthly.

Question 3: what type of lawyer should I contact? An immigration lawyer? An LLC lawyer (what's the exact name)? Both?

Thank you!

eerelations

You should hire an immigration lawyer. You should also know that just because someone has an H1B status doesn't mean that employment laws don't apply. You must pay this person at least minimum wage for every hour of work he performs for your LLC (and no, the fact that it's an LLC and not an Ltd or an Inc makes no difference).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">