• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urinalysis and confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Matt70

What is the name of your state?
Ohio

I failed a random urinalysis, test results positive for marijuana use.
I returned to work after getting a call from the residing physician who informed me of the test results.
upon returning to work I was approached by my supervisor and asked to discuss this with him in his office.
During this discussion I ask him if this would remain confidential, I explained to him that friends of my family worked in the office and expressed a need for the results to be remain confidential..
I also expressed the desire for a retest as was a past practice with other individuals who also failed urinalysis testing.
He agreed that they would honor confidentiality as described in the employee handbook. He also told me that I could finish that night out and tomorrow contact the Vice President regarding a retest.

Later that evening I was approached by another employee and was alerted to the fact that others knew about my failing the test and that he was questioned by another employee about it,, who readily admitted to being told my results by the supervisor I discussed this with previously....

I asked that person if he was telling others that I failed my test, and his reply was a long studder followed by him asking me if the supervisor had discussed this with me or not,.. He then began telling me how "he heard" the supervisor was going to allow me to retest..
I later contacted the VP who refered me to the Human resources dept. and basically was told a second test would not be needed.

I am extremely upset over this and would be appreciative of any advice that may be given as to my rights in this circumstance .

n_and

Sorry to tell you but there is nothing you can do, short of quit smoking the hashish. Your employer has every right to terminate you for failing your test, does not have to give you a second test, and as for confidentiality, yes, it was broken, and good luck proving it. Just let it go. It's not worth your time, energy, and money. Next time, don't do drugs.

M

Matt70

My hat is off to you sir.
Thank you Very Much. :thumbsup:

edit: I was seeking advice for a friend and this is what I expected to hear myself. He has no problem with being terminated due to the failure of the urinalysis. It was a contract and condition of employment of which he entered into upon acceptance of the job. His question was in reference to possible action that could or could not have been taken against the employer for their breach of contract per the employee handbook regarding the confidentiality agreement.
He does have witness's but I personally do understand it would be difficult to prove.

I don't do drugs but I do use cannabis for medical reasons and feel it is my duty to disobey unjust laws..

I have been quite secure in my profession and am currently partially retired at 36 years of age.
But thank you very much for the advice.

Last edited:

n_and

My hat is off to you sir
When one assumes, one must know he is making an @ss out of oneself. :middle finger up:

I was seeking advice for a friend
you forgot to put quotations around "friend". Oldest story in the book.

But thank you very much for the advice

Your welcome. Goody Goody for you and your cannabis smoking friend. You came here for legal advice, that's what you got.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">