• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

using spouses name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NUBS8201

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
ohio

is ie illegal that i used my spouses name to work under and we both are able to work in the usa but she is a stay at home mom and we want to build her credit?

Proserpina

ohio

is ie illegal that i used my spouses name to work under and we both are able to work in the usa but she is a stay at home mom and we want to build her credit?

Yes, that is absolutely illegal and it's called "fraud".

If you are here on a visa/green card you are seriously jeopardizing your status in this country.

Antigone*

ohio

Yes that is identity theft.

Silverplum

ohio

Yes, it's illegal.

How do you plan to fix the situation?

Last edited:

eerelations

Wow! That's totally illegal! You're going to be in so much trouble when your employer and US immigration find out! Wow!

commentator

And you want to "build her credit" so you can borrow money in her name and rip somebody else off. Wow.

If you are working and she is staying home, what would be the upside to your NOT working and letting the credit build in her name, other than that there may already be some bad credit, unpaid debts and such in your name?

You obviously do not understand the cross matching and checks that are in place if one works for a covered employer using any social security number. The unemployment system, the social security system, the IRS, all of these entities share information and their systems busily cross match all social security numbers for anyone reporting wages on taxes, payroll records, etc. This will happen long before you have "built up credit" for her anywhere.

And do you think they won't notice you're suddenly Mary Doe and not John?

applecruncher

Yes, it’s illegal, I think you know it’s illegal, and you are going to get caught.

In addition to crossmatching social security numbers, various types of other data can be checked, crossmatched, etc. There are no secrets. It’s just a matter of time before you are caught, and you will be in deep, very serious trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">