• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legalflorida

I currently hold a supervisor position in a large Bank in Florida. In January 2001 we were required to put in for our vacation. At this same time we are given manager approval. My vacation was approved and scheduled by my manager. I purchased my airline tickets in January after my managers approval.

My manager has now taken a promotion within the company but, in another State. My manager will be leaving within the next week. My vacation is schedualed for the last week in May and first part of June.

I have applied for the position, at this time it does not appear that I have even been considered for the position. But, due to internal politics they have picked someone who knows nothing about our area and work in the department. (This is a whole other issue and question).

My question at this time: Is it leagal if they cancel my vacation due to a new Manager and they are unable to operate without me until the new Manager is fully trained? (Trained by me) If I refuse to cancel my vacation due to the fact (I have already paid for non refundable airline tickets). Is it legal to fire me? If so, would I be eligible for unemployment?

A

Attorney_Replogle

I doubt that there is any given law in your state that talks about this matter. Rather, it is likely that your situation is really a contract. In other words, you are going to have to rely primarily on all the internal written company policies on vacation use AFTER it has been approved by all the gods required. So, if you are correct in going on vacation anyhow, and they terminate you anyhow, then I would say that you can sue them for breaking the contract of employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">