• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Benefts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dudeyboy

Hello. I'm sorry if this doesn't fit this category, so if it's too off topic, please refer me to the appropriate board. We live/work in California. My husband's employer (in Florida) has today decided that either all employees must choose either to lose this year's or last year's accrued vacation under their 'new policy.' Is this legal? He stands to lose 15 days of already earned vacation, or not get to take any this year. He is hourly, and this greatly affects his opportunity to take any time off. Thank you. (And if he quits, is he entitled to being paid for any unpaid vacation?)

ALawyer

This seems wierd, but companies have been doing all sorts of wierd things now that the economy has colled down a bit.

Contact the state department of labor, but if push comes to shove, the company would find some way to get rid of him if they don't think he's playing ball. If he is a non-exempt employee he likely has greater rights, if that matters.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Your employer is blatantly violating the law with regard to ACCRUED vacation. By definition that is vacation time (or its equivalent in pay) that an employee has already earned a right to. That means it is the employee's property. The employor doesn't have a right to tell employee's they must give up their already earned/accrued personal property (vacation) under a changed policy that would affect only future UNEARNED vacation. So you can either contact the government Labor Board at (213) 620-6330. Or, you can hire an employment law attorney directly at https://attorneypages.com

You can also save money on such attorneys by using a legal insurance plan. For further information on these see https://law.freeadvice.com/resources/legalplans/index.htm

[Edited by Attorney_Replogle on 04-11-2001 at 02:45 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">