• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation pay upon leaving a job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ColoradoCathy

I am currently living in Colorado but will be moving to Texas due to family matters. Upon turning my notice in to my employer, he asked me to stay until January 5th. This would enable me to train my replacement and to also receive my accrued vacation pay. He gives the vacation on the anniversary of hire for the previous year, so I have actually earned this time, but will not be able to use it until my hire date anniversary.

Now, my boss has decided that he wants me to leave around Chrismas and has refused to pay me for the vacation stating that since I will not be working through my anniversary date I am not entitled to the pay. Is this correct? If not, what can I do?

crager34

BS

When you got hired on, you probably started receiving benefits somewhere between 30-90 days after hire. If part of your benefits was accrued vacation time, then you are entitled to receive that pay. Now, if the policy of the company is to only allow vacation time after the year anniversary, then you are out of luck. Try this....give them written notice that you are leaving the day after you anniversay, then if they let you go before that....they are liable to pay you.

ps. Your family plight hits close to home. My brother and his two kids had to move to Dallas with my mom for family issues as well. I wish you all the best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">