• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Payout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hrgirl

I live in Georgia, I was let go as part of a RIF. My employer wants me to pay for vacation time I took and did not earn. Since it was not my decsion to leave can they make me repay this? Thanks

JETX

Very probably. Their 'allowing' you to advance your vacation was in essence a loan of hours (money). As such, they could claim that this was a loan.

Some random thoughts:
1) You have to consider that this company (that you are considering 'stiffing' for the 'loan') will very probably be asked for a reference from any prospective employer. Do you really want to risk their negative comments?
2) It would be normal for them to deduct this 'vacation advance' from your final pay. Have they given you your final pay yet??
3) It is likely that the employer has more 'legal assets' (money) to spend in pursuing this, than you have in defense assets.

My suggestion, you 'borrowed' the time/money, now you need to pay them back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">