• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation & Sick Time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PoemGirl16

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?FL
I had an car accident a while ago. I was still on my 90day period but about 3 weeks ago that was over.
I was written sick from the doctor. Now I found out that I have no more sick days? How many am I suppose to get? They are saying it will be taking out of my vacation time. I don't even know how much vacation time I have.
Nobody ever told me how many sick days and how many vacation days I have.
Like today I been very sick. I talk to my boss and he said it will be taking out of my vacation time because I'm out of sick time. Can they take that later against me and fire me? :confused:

Beth3

Now I found out that I have no more sick days? How many am I suppose to get? You don't have to get any. This is entirely a matter of company policy.

They are saying it will be taking out of my vacation time. I don't even know how much vacation time I have. Nobody ever told me how many sick days and how many vacation days I have. Then perhaps you should ask.

Like today I been very sick. I talk to my boss and he said it will be taking out of my vacation time because I'm out of sick time. Can they take that later against me and fire me? Yes.

(a) You've only been there three months and have apparently missed a fair amount of work time. (b) Your employer appears to be quite generous. Again, you've only been there three months and yet you have been provided with a paid sick days benefit, vacation, and leave time. With many employers, you wouldn't qualify for any of that until you'd been there for a year.

I suggest you do everything you can to get into work and not miss any more time. I can only guess your employer is pretty close to pulling the plug on your employment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Many people mistakenly believe that as long as a doctor says they can't work, the employer is required to excuse all absences and hold their job open for them. That is not true. A doctor's note has no force in law unless FMLA applies, and it does not here since you have not worked for the company long enough.

No law dictates how many sick days you get, or even whether you get sick days. That's entirely up to your employer to decide. The same applies to vacation days. The employer gets to decide how and when either sick or vacation days are used. If you run out of sick days and the employer wants you to use vacation days to fill in, he can require you to do so.

Since you have not worked for the company long enough for FMLA to apply, and since Florida has no mandated state medical leave, your employer can terminate your employment for excessive absences no matter how legitimate the need for medical leave, and no matter how many notes the doctor writes "excusing" you from work.

PoemGirl16

Vacation & Sick Time

I been here for 4month passed my 90period. When am I protected with doctors notes. I had a really bad car accident and I shouldn't be back at work yet. But still I'm here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is NO point at which a doctor's note offers you legal protection.

IF your employer has more than 50 employees within 75 miles of your location then when you have worked for the employer for 12 months AND have worked a minimum of 1,250 hours in the last 12 months AND have a condition that qualifies you for protection under the Family and Medical Leave Act, then you can take the appropriate Federal forms to your doctor, have them completed, return them to your employer and then the absences for the qualifying condition will be protected for up to 12 weeks. But there will NEVER be a situation in which a note from your doctor ("Sally was seen in my office on xx/xx/xxxx and must be excused from work for x days") requires your employer to excuse you from work and there will NEVER be a time when your employer is required to give you unlimited leave.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">