• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vaccine requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JCW 1

What is the name of your state? IL

There is plenty of information on the right to refuse vaccinations for your infant/child for entry into schools, etc.

However, I'm looking to the right to refuse vaccinations for employment.

As a child, I had the standard vaccinations from the 60-70s. But I am old enought to NOT have received the second MMR vaccine.

I am in school to become an EMT and in order to do the required clinical time in the Emergency Room, I'm told I must prove my vaccination history.
(which I'm having difficultly locating anyway) and because of my age, they're certain I've only had 1 MMR shot and so a second shot will be required.
Oddly enough, they allow a refusal to consent for the Hep B vac.

As an adult I've come to realize most of the vaccination are not something I'd give my child and I certainly don't want them myself.

So how can I prove in Illinois the hopsital / Emergency Medical Services System cannot require their workers to obtain vaccinations? Religious grounds are acceptable.

lealea1005

What is the name of your state? IL

There is plenty of information on the right to refuse vaccinations for your infant/child for entry into schools, etc.

However, I'm looking to the right to refuse vaccinations for employment.

As a child, I had the standard vaccinations from the 60-70s. But I am old enought to NOT have received the second MMR vaccine.

I am in school to become an EMT and in order to do the required clinical time in the Emergency Room, I'm told I must prove my vaccination history.
(which I'm having difficultly locating anyway) and because of my age, they're certain I've only had 1 MMR shot and so a second shot will be required.
Oddly enough, they allow a refusal to consent for the Hep B vac.

As an adult I've come to realize most of the vaccination are not something I'd give my child and I certainly don't want them myself.

So how can I prove in Illinois the hopsital / Emergency Medical Services System cannot require their workers to obtain vaccinations? Religious grounds are acceptable.

Is there a reason you're so adamant against getting the booster?

The MMR is contraindicated for women of childbearing age, however one can still have blood drawn for a rubella titre. Perhaps that will satisfy the requirement.

Last edited:

JCW 1

Since I am too old to have likely received two MMR shots I am eligible for a titre test.

Yes, there a reason I'm so adamant against getting the booster and it's not up for discussion on this forum.

The question herein relates to the Illegal Discrimination against those opposed to vaccines, not the details of how many, why or why not.

Beth3

"Those who don't want vaccinations" are not a protected class. I don't see that you have a leg to stand on here.

JCW 1

I beg to differ with you.
Those who don't want vaccinations for religious reasons are protected.
Local vaccination requirements cannot override federal religious freedom rights.

In Illinois, your child CANNOT be kept out of any public school, daycare, college, etc. because he is not vaccinated. (You get a lot of pressure & heat from those in the schools who don't know what the law says, but if you persevere, you win.)

So the question is when he becomes and adult can he then be discriminated against in his employment for the very same reason he was not allowed to be discriminated against in his education?

Gadfly

At some point you will have to state a valid reason if you wish any success, so now would be a good time to come clean.

Are you a member of a real religion that is officially opposed to shots? And I don't mean Joes Corner Church of the Divine Wierd-o's

JCW 1

yes the reasons are religious
and yes, I do attend a "normal" church
however, you do not have to provide a letter from your church, it does not have to be a part of the church doctrine or creed to be a "legitimate" religious conviction.

the more I think about it, although they consider me "working" in the ER for my clinical time, it is not "employment" it is "education" so I'm quite convinced I can prove my position.
However, when it comes time for real employment, I may still need the answer to:
"So the question is when he becomes and adult can he then be discriminated against in his employment for the very same reason he was not allowed to be discriminated against in his education?"

Gadfly

So you want to be trained to work in the health care field and you expect to be allowed to possibly carry diseases that could be shared with those your are supposed to be helping? That's kind of counter intuitive isn't it?

JCW 1

I am not going to get into a discussion on vacinnations.

The purpose of this forum is EMPLOYMENT LAW
with a subtopic of Discrimination

if you don't have anything to say that pertains to legitimate LEGAL advice, your opinion is not solicited.

lealea1005

yes the reasons are religious
and yes, I do attend a "normal" church
however, you do not have to provide a letter from your church, it does not have to be a part of the church doctrine or creed to be a "legitimate" religious conviction.

the more I think about it, although they consider me "working" in the ER for my clinical time, it is not "employment" it is "education" so I'm quite convinced I can prove my position.
However, when it comes time for real employment, I may still need the answer to:
"So the question is when he becomes and adult can he then be discriminated against in his employment for the very same reason he was not allowed to be discriminated against in his education?"

True, but should you contract measles, mumps or rubella during your "education" in the ER, you would put the other healthcare workers and patients at risk. How would you feel if you infected a pregnant woman?

Should you did become infected, would you then sue your employer because you were exposed to the disease?

As an employer in the healthcare field, I probably would not hire you for any patient contact positions if you refused to receive the required vaccinations, or showed proof of immunity via a titre. It's too much of a risk for all involved.

ecmst12

Your "regligious" freedom or freedom to choose what goes into your body does NOT give you the right to put patients at risk. So I don't think you're going to be able to legally refuse the vaccinations and still get the job - it's not just about your rights, it's about patient safety, and your rights end where they start interfering with other people's.

The reason your job is different then your child's education is that the right to a public education is guaranteed in this country, the right to work in a particular industry is not. Most jobs don't look at vaccination history; only those where it's relevant to the work environment (schools, healthcare) do that. If you don't want to get vaccinated, you can always find another industry to work in. You must have realized when you started this school that vaccination would be required.

And however unpleasant you think that the vaccines are, I can promise you that the diseases that they protect against are worse.

Beth3

I beg to differ with you.
Those who don't want vaccinations for religious reasons are protected.
Local vaccination requirements cannot override federal religious freedom rights.

In Illinois, your child CANNOT be kept out of any public school, daycare, college, etc. because he is not vaccinated. (You get a lot of pressure & heat from those in the schools who don't know what the law says, but if you persevere, you win.)

So the question is when he becomes and adult can he then be discriminated against in his employment for the very same reason he was not allowed to be discriminated against in his education?
You have not made any statements that suggest YOUR religious beliefs have anything to do with your refusal to be vaccinated. On the contrary, you've stated that it's only a personal preference. Therefore your decision not to do so is not protected.

Gadfly

By the way, your choices could lead to huge legal judgement against you if you infect someone you are pledged to help. That in turn would put your family and home in jepordy.

So, get off your high horses and either accept the responsibility that comes with being a health care worker, or find an different industry to torment.

xylene

It is obvious from the unwillingness to provide info / basis / etc. that this poster is clearly "asking" (aka trolling) only to get a rise out of people, not out of a real situation.

Either that or the person just wants to be told some anti-vaciantion, pro-Jesus BS legal strategy. Sorry, while the law regrettably make all too many exceptions for the strict followers Jesus and other Xtian faiths, in this case you will need to take something unto your body...

LMAO at YOU. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">