• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle responsibility agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klmzc5

I work for a beer distributer in Central Florida. As a condition of employment I had to sign a vehicle responsibility agreement which states that, if I am involved in an accident in a company vehicle, and am found to be responsible, based on the Nat'l Safety Councils Definitions of Preventable Accidents, I am responsible for up to $1,000.00.
Many years ago, an employer in NY attempted to recoup, from me, the cost of an accident I had in his company vehicle. The NYS Dept. of Labor rep. stated that it was not legal and that, had I paid, I could get that money back.
My question is, is the agreement I signed illegal and therefore non-binding or can it be considered coercive as it was a precondition to employment, or is it legal and binding? Thank you.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Great question. Well, it may be a state to state issue. But I would imagine there has to be sort of national guideline, especially with truckers since they drive interstate all the time. Try the OSHA link below. Maybe that might give some answers.

http://www.osha-slc.gov/doc/outreachtraining/htmlfiles/introsha.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">