• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Employment Contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bdowd

I recently got a job at a library as a systems technician. At the interview I was told my job would be Monday through Friday 7-4 or 8-5 or 9-6. It didn't really matter as long as I worked 8 hours, and occaisional weekends. I was also not told that these would change. I was also told that what I didn't know about the position I would receive training for.

These were important considerations for my acceptance of the job as I was working in another town and wanted something closer so I could spend time with my family.

Now the Director has changed my hours from Tuesday and Thursday 12- 9 pm Wednesday 9 - 6 pm, Friday and Saturday 8 - 5 pm. We are off Sunday and Monday. These hours take away from my spending time from my family which was the primary reason for my accepting the offer of the job. I am a salaried emplyee. My question is...did we have a binding verbal aggreement, My accepting the position for certain considerations and has my employer breached that aggreement?

JETX

No. An offer of employment is just that, an offer. And though the 'normal' hours may have been anticipated as offered, the employer has the right to schedule as needed.

Finally, lets assume that the stated schedule was binding, would you REALLY spend the money out of your pocket to try to enforce a 'possible' contract with your employer???? Not likely if you want to keep your job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">