• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal/Mental Abuse by Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tdb2005

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

I am currently in job that I have been in for 5.5 yrs. It has been getting tougher to deal with. I have been verbally/Mentally and at one time physically abused twice (grabbed by the arm) by my employer. This is a family ran company, and all are in charge.
I have been told several times by the owners that I am HATED by all in my company and the reason I was demoted back to Reception after 5 years of being the company secretary is that the people in the office hate me and tired of dealing with me. I feel like I am constantly being attacked by these people.
I have been in the process of looking for new work for more than a year, and was told at one point that I would be fired if found looking for new work. So I end up faking illness and having my Dr. getting me out of work so I can interview and take tests if needed. I have had very little luck in getting new work, and I am always looking.
Could there be a possible civil law suit I can do against the owners that can be given on this situation?

Thanks for your help.

Beth3

Could there be a possible civil law suit I can do against the owners that can be given on this situation? No. No laws require your employer to be nice to you, prohibit them from demoting you because others don't like working with you, or threaten you with termination if you are found seeking employment elsewhere. (Althoug the latter seems particularly stupid; under the circumstances, you'd think they'd be glad you were interviewing elsewhere.)

If they find out you're faking illnesses so you can get out of work, you can count on being fired instantly. You might want to consider using vacation or personal time when you're going to be absent because of an interview.

tdb2005

Thanks for the input. Doesn't go under harassment huh? I can't go to any one in charge because they are the ones doing the abuse. I go in every morning nervous, if feel if I am nice to someone they will run to them and say she is being sarcastic. So I keep to myself, be on time everyday, and do what is required of me in my position.
I started having anxiety attacks last year, my doctor feels that all that pent up emotion started to finally move on up and come to the surface. He wants me to find new work, and he has been trying to assist me by getting me out once in awhile. Hey he cares about my health, as so do I.

Beth3

Doesn't go under harassment huh? Nope. Not unless you're being harassed BECAUSE of your age, gender, race, national origin, religion, etc.

Many types of "harassment" in the workplace are perfectly legal, including what you describe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">