• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal/Oral Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wild24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Here is my situation.

I was working for a company for 25+ years and due to the down sizing and recent layoffs I started looking for other work. A friend had contacted me and informed me of a job. It was for his fathers company and it sounded like something that I would enjoy. I had a interview with him and my friend and it was set up for me to travel with them to the workplace. I joined them and spent a day with them seeing what they do and what my job would be. A few weeks later I had another meeting with both and it was decided that I would be a good fit. I was told what I would be paid, what my hours would be, and what kind of benefits they offer and would offer in the future. After this meeting I accepted the title and pay. The following Monday I gave my notice to a 45,000 a year job and was to start my new job that following Monday.

The Sunday before I called to make sure everything was a go and I was told that it might be a week or two before I would start. I was fine with this but now it has been a year. I have had many contact with him many times over the year and also had another meeting with him. Don't get me wrong I have looked and applied for other positions and it is a hard time to find work. Needless to say I would never have quit my past job if I new that I would not be working.

My question is, can I do anything about this situation? It has caused tremendous stress on my family not only financially but emotionally. I now that it might be hard because it was an oral agreement but any information would be great.

Thanks Much!
Need help

pattytx

It's been a year and you think there's still a chance? :eek: It should have been obvious to you about 11 months ago. Without a written promise of employment, I don't think you have a case for detrimental reliance.

eerelations

Unfortunately, verbal/oral agreements are worth exactly the same amount of money as the paper they're printed on.

wild24

Pattytx,

Thanks for the info..and to answer your question. I was well aware of it after a month, and if you read my question you would see that I have been looking for other work for the last year. Simply but my question was because no work has been available otherwise I would have just let this pass and moved on. But because I am still out of work I had to ask the question. But thanks for your sarcasm remarks. Makes one feel real good!!

donkort

I wish you luck finding work!

I can understand how you wanted a better quality of life for yourself--this was why you wanted to leave the job you had. It's really a plight--the classic "security versus ttanscendence" dilemma! But with this economy, I would have taken "security" over "transcendence" any time!

If I were you, I would try to obtain a civil service position, if possible.
Great benefits, great job security. I should know--I've been a civil servant for 29 years.

I wish you luck in obtaining suitable employment

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">