• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vertigo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tati

What is the name of your state? IL

I was on medical leave from my job for about 3 months. I was notified by my employer that FMLA had expired and my job may not be secure. During this time I was under doctors care and was not released back to work. I was also told by my employer that I could not return to work until my doctor released me. When I notified my employer that my doctor had released me back to work they told me I had been terminated. I was employed there for over 7 years and I was over worked by my employer. All my reviews were positive and I have no idea why they did this. What can I do?

Unfortunately, FMLA is only 12 weeks, cut and dry. If you were unable to return to work at that time due to doctors orders, I'm 99% sure you will be able to collect unemployment. Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are unable to return to work when your FMLA expires, your employer may legally term you and hire someone to replace you, regardless of how legitimate the need for additional leave time and regardless of whether you have a hundred doctor's notes. The law has to balance your rights against those of your employer to have someone in the position who is able to be at work. When your Federally or state mandated leave time is up, it's up.

If you have been released to work by your doctor then Jackie is correct; you should have no trouble collecting UI. But your employer has no legal obligation to rehire you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">