• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Veteran Marine need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mchl_csh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My employer told me that he can yell at me for no reason whenever he wants. I told him that he can't and he said that it was his store and that I need to get thicker skin. So I ask to be moved to another department and he said that I may want to find other employment and I said that I need my job but not the yelling for no apparent reason. And again he said that I may want to find other employment. So I left. Can I draw unemployment benefits? I am a former marine and I can't deal with all of the yelling. Can someone please help me?

ecmst12

No law prevents managers from yelling at their employees. You chose to quit so it is unlikely that you will be able to get unemployment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My employer told me that he can yell at me for no reason whenever he wants.

He's right.

I told him that he can't

That's where you are mistaken.

and he said that it was his store and that I need to get thicker skin.

Sounds like he's right about that too.

What does being a former marine have to do with it? My BIL is a former marine; he yells at people all the time and he likes it when they yell back.

Many members of my family have been in the Marines, as well as the Army, Air Force and National Guard. None of them have had problems being yelled at, to the best of my knowledge. Quite the opposite in fact, they don't seem to mind at all and are quite used to it.

ecmst12

A vet with PTSD, on the other hand, could indeed have problems with being yelled at. But without requesting accomodations under the ADA and going through the proper steps, rather then just quitting, he doesn't have any protection for it.

commentator

you can certainly file for your unemployment insurance. However, the employer can fire you for any reason. And he can, if he avoids violating the EEOC rules or physically assaulting you, some very selective circumstances, yell at you without it being called a "good job related reason to quit." Because when you voluntarily quit a job, you get the burden of proof in unemployment insurance issues to prove you had a very good valid job related reason to quit.

They will do a hearing and frankly, the level of verbal abuse he provided does not sound like good cause to me. Maybe it will sound different to the hearing officer, but to me it sounds like you two got in a little old "can--can not! can- can't either!" verbal disagreement, and you don't think you should have to take any guff off anyone because you're a former Marine, and so you walked out. Unfortunately, in order to remain employed at some jobs, you do have to take a certain amount of guff. Doesn't really sound like you quit because he was hollering at you, sounds like you quit because he said he could holler at you if he wanted to, and you couldn't sue him or do anything about it except quit. He was pretty much right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">