• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video surveilance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fedupwitem

What is the name of your state? MI

Is there anything I can do about the video camera that is pointed directly at my computer right now? I have had enough and I don't care if they are watching me type this. I also have a web and computer usage software installed. I was told the other day that they could see I was reading something. My office is in a genral public area, but it is still my personal space!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Is there anything I can do about the video camera that is pointed directly at my computer right now? I have had enough and I don't care if they are watching me type this. I also have a web and computer usage software installed. I was told the other day that they could see I was reading something. My office is in a genral public area, but it is still my personal space!
No, it is not "your" space. It is your employer's space.
What you can do is stand up, gather your belongings, go to your boss and say "I can't handle this...I quit". Then go home and have a Merry Christmas!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you suggesting that your employer does not have the right to know what you are doing when you are on his time, being paid by him?

Beth3

Sure. You can quit. (Your work area is NOT your personal space, it is your employer's premesis.)

Hot Topic

{Quote}My office is in a genral public area, but it is still my personal space!{Unquote}

I guess you forgot that you entered this into your employer's computer when you were supposed to be working in response to Betty's comment that there's no Michigan law forbidding having a video camera in a public place.

Your employer has the right to monitor your computer usage. Keep using the computer for this kind of thing, and you won't have to worry about their camera directed at your "private" space.

las365

There are a host of ways an employer can monitor your computer use. The video camera is low-tech.
Indeed, and since:
I also have a web and computer usage software installed. I was told the other day that they could see I was reading something.
OP has more than fair warning that her activities are monitored. It's a chance to adjust her use of the employer's time and equipment to fit into the employer's requirements, and yet:
I don't care if they are watching me type this.
She is still is using them to go online for personal use, and worse, the personal use is looking for legal advice to use against the employer and complaining about her job!

She probably hasn't posted again because she got fired, and in my opinion, justifiably so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">