• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

viewed medication profile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twinjsmom

viewed pharmacy profile

What is the name of your state?arizona this is the closest forum i could find for what i am inquiring about. my husband & i each have a medication profile at the pharmacy that i work at. there was a discrepancy in one of his prescriptions and while researching it, the loss prevention dept of my employer looked up my own medication profile, which allowed them to learn of any and all medications that i am taking. does this violate any laws such as hippa?

Last edited:

TamaraL

I would think they shouldn't have access to that information. I work with HIPPA everyday but mostly what i know about it involves health care providers and PHI (protected health information) not employers - but i can't think of a reason how they can see your information without consent or authorization from you. That information can't be disclosed even for law enforcement reasons, if they thought the discrepency was something other than lawful they still would need your permission.

panzertanker

twinjsmom said:
there was a discrepancy in one of his prescriptions
what type of "discrepancy"?
twinjsmom said:
and while researching it, the loss prevention dept of my employer looked up my own medication profile,
for what reason?
twinjsmom said:
which allowed them to learn of any and all medications that i am taking. does this violate any laws such as hippa?
This is not a HIPAA violation, the pharmacy is not regulated under HIPAA.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">