• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vindictive x-employer threatening to sue me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kewadinbob

Michigan. I was fired from my job a few weeks ago. It had nothing to do with my work performance - this is documented.

My x-employer now claims that I failed to enter some information in a database several months ago which will, potentially, cause him to lose an important customer. He further states that if he loses this customer he will be forced to close his business. I received an email from a former co-worker which asks me to come into the office I formally worked at in order to prove that I performed the task in question. Of course, this would be unpaid and a 45 minute drive away. The email states "it would be in your best interested to come or at least call the office as the blame unfortunately is sitting in your court on this issue". You'd have to know this employer to understand that I'm being set-up for a lawsuit. He loves to sue former employees and has done so on several occasions.

I do have email documentation at the employer (or at least did) which proved I performed the task in question. QUESTION 1: If I'm unable to locate the email and it "mysteriously dissappeared" am I financiallly liable for the loss of this customer and, therefore, the failure of the business? QUESTION 2: I just want to be left alone by this bullying employer. Is it in my best interest to continue communicating with him? Especially knowing he'll manipulate anything I have to say in order to use it against me?

Thanks so much for your advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">