• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

violation of privacy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iamsparticus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I was working on a ranch and was questionably fired. Afterward, my boss called my father and told him that he fired me for reasons that my father didn't find amusing thus hurting our relationship. I believe my boss new he didn't have a great reason to let me go so he was covering his ass. I didn't violate any specific clauses of my contract, but they did put a "we reserve the right to terminate your employment at any time for any reason" type clause. Did my boss break any laws by contacting my father about business that wasn't his?

I'm 23 years old so I'm not a minor. Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, he didn't. You have no legal expectation of privacy with regards to your employment status - he could have taken out a billboard on US Rte 1 declaring that you had been fired and why, and it would have been legal.

BTW, your boss didn't need to "cover his behind" - in 49 out of 50 states including Colorado, he could legally fire you because you wore a green shirt; because the Rockies lost; because it was raining out; or because it was Wednesday, and it would have been legal. Barring a legally binding contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, Montana is the only state where an employer needs "just cause" to fire you, and even in Montana there are exceptions where the at-will doctrine still applies.

Now, that doesn't mean I think your boss was right to call your father, but it was neither illegal nor necessary to "protect" him.

iamsparticus

Thanks for clearing that up. Just wanted to make sure.

I didn't mean cover his behind legally, just so he wouldn't look bad to my family because they are long-time patrons of this place. And for the record he was a dick.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">