• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia Promotional Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RU4Serious

I work with a very large company (25,000+ employees) in a Consulting company based in Northern Virginia. We have a pretty in-depth performance appraisal (a 360-degree that takes months to complete). After data-collection is completed, an assessor creates a write up with all of the sources of input and presents it to the assessee’s immediate boss. Afterwards, the immediate boss (or Assessment writer if the boss isn’t available) goes in front of a panel to validate the assessment. Later, the assessment decision is given to the assessee.
Recently, I was debriefed saying that I had been promoted. I received a write-up of my performance saying that I hit all of the performance targets, and my immediate boss told me that pay actions indicate a promotion too….as he mentioned I would be receiving a 13% increase. The person that actually conducted the interviews (data collection for the 360) told me that he had written it up as a promotional assessment. When I received my paycheck, I received over a 20% increase in my previous pay (a lot more than I was originally told). Unfortunately…it didn’t last, as they docked my next paycheck to offset the excess they paid me. So to recap, after being told I would be receiving a 13% increase, I actually received about 24%. I was later docked so that my actual increase was 2%.
Later in the day, I received a phone call saying that my promotion HAD NOT gone through. This was after I’ve already shown up in the global system with the promotion title and the panel had apparently already been conducted. My immediate boss (Jane), who I absolutely respect mentioned that the chair of the panel, I’ll call him John, disagreed with everything that was being said (from the data collected).
The problem is, apparently John has a history of doing these things. I’ve heard from other people saying they’ve had similar problems with him. Jane, in addition to many other people mention that I’m being screwed.
Any suggestions on how to approach this? Is there legal action I can take?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you a member of a union?

What do you WANT to see happen? You cannot force them to promote you. You MAY be able to recoup some of what was taken out of your pay - but they also may terminate your employment.

RU4Serious

Thanks for your replies. My company isn't unionized, so that unfortunately won't help. I realize that I can't force them to promote me, but it seems like a case of fraud that they gave me paperwork showing that I was promoted, I was paid as though I was promoted, and I was in the Global system as having been promoted....then they come back and take it all away AND post a new set of paperwork onto their online system showing something different than I had been debriefed on.

Are you a member of a union?

What do you WANT to see happen? You cannot force them to promote you. You MAY be able to recoup some of what was taken out of your pay - but they also may terminate your employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">