• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntarily Terminated due to Outsourcing of Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MA, In July of last year I found out that 85% of my job was going to be outsourced to a different company, after waiting months and months to find out what was going to happen to me, and not hearing anything, I decided to give my notice the beginning of November. There was a lot of things happening in my position that I just wasn't happy with and I figured that they were going to get rid of me anyway. I never went to HR about my concern for my job because when you go to HR with something, even though they have an open door policy, it would always get back to the hire ups, and then they would not be happy with you.

When I gave my notice, I told them it was partly due to my moving to NC, my husband had moved down and secured a job and I figured that this was the best thing to do. Well after coming down to NC I started looking for a job right away and couldn't find one. I applied for unemployment and was denied because the say I didn't leave for a just cause (or something like that). Again my reason for leaving was because they were outsourcing my job and I didn't want to wait until December when the sale happened for them to tell me I was out of a job. There was a press release that was sent out in December after the sale stating that this sale was good because it eliminated the need for personnel for these positions. Then the next week, I found out they let my old boss go. Bottom line here, I was denied unemployment, then appealed it and was denied again, should I appeal one more time? THis is not little money we are talking about here, I was looking for a job for 3 months before I found one.

pattytx

Unless you have some other facts to present, I don't see that another appeal is going to help you. You voluntarily left the position in anticipation of a possible Reduction in Force. In a very few states, if you had left solely to follow your spouse in a move, you might be able to collect UI. Apparently MA does not allow this option and, even if they did, it would have had to be the only reason you quit when you did. It is very difficult in any state to be granted UI benefits if you voluntarily quit your job.

Good luck in your new position (it took me nearly 5 months to find the one I just started a couple of weeks ago).

Beth3

I was denied unemployment, then appealed it and was denied again, should I appeal one more time? Only if you want to continue to waste your time. You QUIT your job. The fact that you believed your job would be eliminated at some point in the future is irrelevant.

Thank you both for your input I appreciate it. I did quit my job and only a few weeks after I quit they terminated my boss, It was the right move on my part, even if I cannot get unemployment benefits.

Beth3

Had you waited around until such time as they terminated your employment due to the sale of the company, THEN you would have been eligible for UC benefits. Quitting in anticipation of that occuring doesn't qualify however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">