• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"voluntary" acknowledgement and agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SockGirl

Missouri. As an employee of 10 years I was asked to sign a voluntary agreement acknowledging receipt of a new employee handboook containing current policies, regulations and benefits which contain sections on designating employees as at will employees and an arbitration agreement. the arbitration agreement states "I understand that by voluntarily agreeing to this binding arbitration provision, both I and the company give up our rights to trial by jury."

There was an email from the VP which I have a copy of that states that anyone who does not sign this voluntary agreement is making a career choice...looking for another career.

Can I be fired for refusing to sign this supposedly voluntary agreement? the rumor was that paychecks would be withheld from anyone who had not signed. I know there were a few cases where employees forged each other's names to the agreement so they would not have their pay withheld - is the agreement binding in those cases?

Please advise.

S

SockGirl

Any suggestions?

I've had no replies - is it legal for them to require this agreement?

S

SockGirl

People were fired

Update. As of this week at least one employee was terminated for not signing the voluntary agreement and a memo was sent out to the other few who had not signed that they woudl be terminated if they did not sign. Surely the workers have some rights to enter into a voluntary agreement by choice. Please advise.

racer72

It is a voluntary agreement if you wish to still wish to work there. By not signing, you are telling the company you do not wish to follow the company rules. Not abiding by company rules is cause for dismissal. It does not violate any provisions set by the Dept. of Labor for employer/employee relations. Unless you have a union contract that has provisions for matter such as these, you do not have a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">