• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Volunteer in not-for-profit organization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

larryessick

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I am currently a board member of a ponytail softball league and also a coach in the league. The league is chartered as a not-for-profit organization and is tax exempt.

Last July I was arrested on a domestic disturbance charge. The case was dismissed with prejudice. I disclosed the arrest and the adjudication of the case when completing my volunteer application.

Can the league's board terminate my association with it based solely on the fact that I was arrested?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Larry

larryessick

CheeseBlotto said:
Yes, it can.
How is that possible? When the court dismissed the case I was under the impression that it was as if the alleged incident had not occurred.

I can understand denying association when convicted of a crime, but not based solely on having been accused. Please explain.

C

CheeseBlotto

Because they aren't booting you for a reason prohibited by law. They can boot you from the organization bacuase they don't like the shirt you wore to the last meeting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">