• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Volunteers and I-9 Forms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scout134

I belong to a small volunteer organization that has some employees. Last night when I went in to volunteer I was handed an I-9 form and told that if I didn't fill it out and sign it I couldn't volunteer. No explanation was given. Is this legal?

racer72

Yes, it is the law. All employees, whether paid or volunteer, must fill out the form. The form is kept by the employer for 3 years or 1 year after termination, which ever is later, and is held by the employer. It is used as a method of verifying that employees and volunteers are legally able to be employed in the U.S.

S

scout134

Volunteers and I-9

What if only some volunteers are selected to fill out the forms. Can the company decide who has to fill them out and who doesn't. Plus I've been a volunteer for this company for 10 years.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">