• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W-2 forms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcchiefs

What is the name of your state? Kansas
what action can I take against my former employer for not handing out last years W2 forms within deadline (1/31)?
thanks for any advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
None, yet. Nothing in the law says he has to hand them to you. He could put them in the mail tonight and as long as they have today's postmark on them, your employer is legal.

kcchiefs

I talked to the payroll clerk there, she said they the W2 forms were not ready today. That's why I'm asking. If they are not ready they can't be mailed today. Any advice?

Beth3

I suppose you can contact the IRS and file a complaint if you want to make trouble for your employer. But if the W-2's are going to be ready within a day or two though, what's the big deal? Yes, I know they're required to be distributed no later than Jan 31st but I have seen occasions where the W-2's have come from the outside payroll administrator TOTALLY screwed up and the employer's acctg/payroll staff have had to redo every single one internally.

shandycat

Re: W-2

It is my understanding that the IRS gives employers until February 15th, at which time you can then contact the IRS for assistance in retrieving the W-2. There is a form you can complete when a W-2 is missing or incorrect, but it delays your return. I am having similar issues with my former supervisor. The W-2's are ready, but she is holding mine because she is spiteful. She knows it's going to be difficult to file my return without the W-2 and she's keeping it on purpose. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">