• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Robber1

Hello
I would like to know if a company can change (lower) your wages once they have already been set?
Problem.... I work for a school system in MI and a year and a half ago I was offered a job with the local Electric dept. at the time I had been an employee of the school for over 10 years and was in the grounds dept. the city job paid $6 more an hour but I didn't really want to leave and the business manager didn't want me to leave so he and I worked out a deal that I would go to maintenance wage and do maintenance and grounds (which I had been doing anyway) if I stayed. Now the Business Manager retired and the new business manager is saying that I have to go back to grounds wages. I have been through all of the maintenance courses that have been offered and have taken all the test that were needed to be certified ( there are 3 maintenance men counting myself and I was the only one to pass all 5 test on the first try) Unfortunatly I have nothing in writing it was a verble agreement between myself and the business manager.. My boss new about it but didn't like it from the go so I can't count on him backing me up .....
Please HELP!!! R. MI

L

loku

Your rights depend on the rules and regulations of the school system if there are rules and regulations that cover the situation. If there are not, then under the law in general, they can reduce your wages and reassign you unless you have a valid contract that provides otherwise. In your case, you would have to prove that you had an oral contract. If you can get the retired business manager to testify as to the contract, you may have a good case; if not, you and not prove the contract.

R

Robber1

New info on wage change

The new info is
After going through my personel file at work I found a pay rate change slip signed by my boss, this should show that he new about the agreement between the retired business manager and myself, He signed it for the rate change and there fore they should be held to it shouldn't they? My local union is starting to look into it, hopefully they can do something!
The union president had a meeting with the new business manager and the supt. and they were pressing very hard to change it back. I am not sure why I wasn't envited to the meeting. Thanks all input helps
R. MI

L

loku

You may be able to prove that there was a promise to promote you, but from the facts you give, that does not amount to an enforceable contract. As I said above, the outcome of this depends on the rules or the organization or on the union contract. Most likely if the union is on your side on this, they will know the pertinent rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">