• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waiting periods

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Teresa60

What is the name of your state? Oregon
I work for a contractor who works for a big international company they have many contractors. I have been told by my employer you can not go to work for other contractors and work with the international company for 6 months away from the site. To bypass this rule you have to get a release from your employer and a letter of approval from the international company saying you don't have to wait the six months. I have the opportunity to go to work for better wages and benefits with another contractor on site. Is it legal for them to stop me from taking the position? I did not sign any form saying I wouldn't seek employment with another contractor.

Beth3

"Is it legal for them to stop me from taking the position? I did not sign any form saying I wouldn't seek employment with another contractor." If you didn't sign any agreement at your time of hire or subsequently, then I don't see that they would have any basis to take legal action against you if you go to work for another contractor.

Two things you should look into first though:

1. Carefully go through your employee handbook and any other company policy material you have. There could be something in there that you don't remember or didn't take the time to read the fine print.

2. Ask your prospective employer if they know anything about the situation. It strikes me as possible that these contractors may have an agreement with the international company not to hire each other's employees and reassign them to work back with the client. So even if YOU didn't sign anything, these contractors may have entered into an agreement among themselves or with the client organization. If that's the case, yes, it's legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">